Sunday, May 20, 2012

How To: Make Pickles

So, last time I was on here I promised I would explain how we made pickles, so here it is:

1. Go to your local farmers market, farm, etc to get your cucumbers! 
2. Make sure you pick up dill too.
3. Wash cucumbers well & cut them to the desired shape.
4. Fill up the jars with the cucumbers you cut.
5. Put the fresh dill on top of them.
6. Cook the vinegar with the pickling spice (make brine).
7. Pour in the brine over the pickles and let them sit on the counter for 3 days.
8. Refrigerate the pickles after that.
9. Eat pickles!!!

It really was that simple. I don't remember off the top of my head how long we cooked the brine, but I could always look that up. I cannot wait to make more this summer! We ate almost all of our pickles from last year already.
We like making refrigerator pickles this way because it means they stay crispy. A few summers ago we tried cooking them, but they ended up sort of soggy. Anyway, I love pickles and I truly think that these pickles taste better than any that you can get in the store. Plus, you know how/where they were made, and you can feel great because you made them!

Photos by me!

No comments:

Post a Comment