Tuesday, October 14, 2014

8.20.14

Who: Rob & I along with Bruce
What: Bringing Bruce to school
Where: Wawatam Lighthouse in St Ignace, Michigan
Captured: Canon EOS50

So, I should probably preface this by saying that this lighthouse isn't really legit. I mean, it's obviously real, and it even gets used, but it's not a true lighthouse for those who are very particular about the word. I am not one of those people, so I think it totally counts. Haha.

This structure actually started it's life out as a Michigan welcome center travel icon in Monroe, Michigan. It was built in 1998 & swapped out for a newer version in 2004. Luckily instead of meeting its demise it was transferred to St Ignace & is now in use for snowmobilers coming across the ice in the winter (which I think is pretty darn neat). A bit funny (or maybe a bit sad) to think that this fake lighthouse is getting more use than many of our real historic lighthouses in the great lakes. Although it does make me incredibly happy to know the story of this not-quite-light.


In case you can't tell in these photos it was quite rainy & a bit chilly. This is the only time I wore shorts on this trip, crazy how chilly the UP can be in August!


No comments:

Post a Comment